If you have the skills and the right tool for the job, you can turn any old piece of furniture into a vintage beauty. Random orbit sanders allow you to rework any wood surfaces and make them look new. The DEWALT DWE6421K is a tool like that, and it has plenty of interesting, as well as useful features.
When you need a smoothly sanded surface, or you have to remove material during the stripping process, there is no better tool than a random orbital sander. As a part of DEWALT’s perform and protect range, this tool combines innovative and user safety features, including three different design choices that all help to counter the most common sander problem – dust.
- Reduced dust: The DWE6421K’s dust port fits other DEWALT devices, including the DWV010 and DWV012 dust extractor vacuums. In that way, the port is also a vacuum connector and an essential part of a three-feature system that keeps the dust at bay very efficiently. This is a serious health issue for people who work in dusty areas, making this much more than a welcomed addition. It is an essential feature that should be on the list of criteria when you decide to buy a random orbit sander. The dust collection bag is very easy to attach and detach, it secures quickly and efficiently.
- Dust sealed switches: This feature is not necessarily about health, or at least not yours. As we’ve already established, dust is a common problem with sanders, but in more ways than one. It doesn’t just compromise your health, but also your equipment’s. If the dirt cannot reach the inside of the tool, it cannot damage the engine.
- Integrative rubber skirting: The dust bag collects the dirt when the machine is operational, whereas the dust-sealed switches add to its durability. The integrative rubber skirting on the pad reduces dusting directly at the source, even under heavy use. The design of the DWE6421K does not allow the dust to escape the pad.
- Reduced vibration: To reduce vibration, the company designed a separate, internal counterweight. Thanks to this component, the tool has reduced vibration and is more comfortable and safer to use. The feature works like a charm in practice, with the DWE6421K vibrating a lot less than other orbit sanders.
- Over-molded handle: The over-molded handle complements the reduced vibration feature and vice-versa, making this orbit sander very easy to use. Even on the speediest settings, the tool remains controllable, provided you use it properly.
- Compact size and low weight: The compact size of the sander is a surprise, but it works very well despite its small size. In addition, it only weighs 2.9 pounds, which is practically nothing for an orbit sander.
- Motor: With its 3.3-amp engine, the motor can deliver an output of up to 12,000 OPM while providing hook and loop sanding.
- Compact design
- 9 pounds weight
- Separated counterweight
- Reduced vibration
- Over-molded rubber handles
- Dust-sealed switches
- Anti-dust system
- Dust bag connects to DWV010 and DWV012
- The dust collection bag could be bigger
The DEWALT DWE6421K features a compact, small design. It weighs just 2.9 pounds, which, combined with the rubber over-molded grip, makes it extremely easy to handle. The engine is a 3.3-amp power source, capable of a maximum of 12,000 OPM.
When you are using it at the fastest setting, the handle and the minimized vibration helps you to keep it steady.
Another feature that helps to reduce the vibration is the separated, internal counterweight. This component alone significantly reduces the vibration of the machine. That way, the tool is safer to use and you get less tired.
The other interesting thing DEWALT did with the DWE6421K was to make it dust proof in any way imaginable. Dust is a huge problem with power tools. People, who work with these machines on a daily basis, must wear protective masks.
The DEWALT DWE6421K has three different features that help to counter the dust. It has an efficient dust port that does an excellent job of gathering the dust around the pad. In addition, the pad features an integrative rubber skirting, which reduces dusting directly at the source.
The third feature does more for the health of the machine than the health of the user, but the dust-sealed switches are still a welcomed addition because they reduce the chances of encountering engine problems.
DEWALT DWE6421K vs. Bosch 3725DEVS 3.3 Amp
One of the popular orbit sanders in the DEWALT DWE6421K’s category is the Bosch 3725DEVS. It has a variable speed option, which is not necessarily the most important feature in a sander, or at least not as crucial as it would be in a rotary tool.
The specs are very similar to what we have seen in the DEWALT DWE6421K, it has a 3.3-amp engine and can provide the same maximum output of 12,000 OPM. The problem is, for a similar performance, it weighs almost twice as much. The 6.2-pound weight seems a little unjustified and could represent a major turnoff for some.
The micro filter dust canister is a great addition, along with the hose adapter, which – similarly to the DEWALT design – can support some vacuum cleaners. We are talking about two very similar appliances in terms of power and features, and that is not necessarily a compliment to the heavier and less convenient machine, which is certainly the Bosch 3725DEVS.
When you have two very similar tools in terms of power, efficiency, and features, you choose the one that is easier to work with. That tool is the DEWALT DWE6421Kbecause it can match the Bosch 3725DEVS performance, featuring a far more compact design and weighing only half as much.
No matter how few differences there are between the two in terms of features, if ease-of-use matters to you, you’ll have to opt for the DEWALT. In addition to this, the DEWALT DWE6421K has more anti-dust features, which makes this orbit sander the safer tool and the clear winner of this comparison.