Impact wrenches are extremely useful tools both at home and on the job, the difference for most buyers is just how much power they need. However, with so many models on the market, it is quite difficult to pick the best electric impact wrench.
My Top 5 Picks For The Best Electric Impact Wrench
- 1 My Top 5 Picks For The Best Electric Impact Wrench
- 2 Top 10 Electric Impact Wrench Reviews
- 2.1 1. DEWALT DCF899HB 20V MAX XR Brushless High Torque 1/2″ Impact Wrench
- 2.2 2. Makita XWT11Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 3-Speed 1/2″ Impact Wrench
- 2.3 3. Kawasaki 841426 1/2-Inch Impact 7.5-Amp – Corded Electric Impact Wrench Review
- 2.4 4. Porter-Cable PCE211 7.5 Amp 1/2″ Impact Wrench
- 2.5 5. HAMMERHEAD HDIW075_7.5 AMP 1/2-inch Impact Wrench
- 2.6 6. Milwaukee 2663-20 18-Volt M18 1/2-Inch High Torque Impact Wrench
- 2.7 7. Ryobi P261 18 Volt One+ 3-Speed 1/2 Inch Cordless Impact Wrench
- 2.8 8. DEWALT DW292 7.5-Amp 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench
- 2.9 9. Capri Tools 32200 8.5 Amp 260 ft. lb Powerful Impact Wrench
- 2.10 10. GM Performance Parts, 1/2 Inch Drive, (GM2813)
- 3 Things To Look For When Choosing An Electric Impact Wrench
An electric impact wrench doesn’t rely on batteries. So you don’t have to worry about, it suddenly losing power in the middle of a job. You’ve also got the added bonus of not having a noisy compressor, though you’re going to be limited by how far the cord can stretch. Its a useful tool for anyone who wants to make dealing with tough bolts faster. But what makes one of these devices the best?
When looking for the top-notch electric corded impact wrench, torque is the first factor to be taken into consideration. Impact wrenches are made up of a motor that drives a hammering mechanism to strike an anvil inside, this creates torque and speed. With a manual wrench, you’re creating these yourself and this can be tiring and time-consuming.
Most impact wrenches offer around 100-1000ft.lb of torque, but do you really need it?
To loosen most car bolts you’ll need around 100ft.lb of torque, but you’ll need more for larger bolts and projects like deck building. So what are your options?
Top 10 Electric Impact Wrench Reviews
|#1||DEWALT DCF899HB 20V MAX XR Brushless High Torque 1/2" Impact Wrench||Battery-Powered||20 volts||700 ft./lbs.|
|#2||Makita XWT11Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 3-Speed 1/2" Impact Wrench||Battery-Powered||18 volts||210 ft./lbs.|
|#3||Kawasaki 841426 1/2-Inch Impact 7.5-Amp Wrench||Corded-Electric||120 volts||220 ft./lbs.|
|#4||Porter-Cable PCE211 7.5 Amp 1/2" Impact Wrench||Corded-Electric||120 volts||450 ft./lbs.|
|#5||HAMMERHEAD_HDIW075_7.5 AMP 1/2-inch Impact Wrench||Corded-Electric||120 volts||240 ft./lbs.|
|#6||Milwaukee 2663-20 18-Volt M18 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench||Battery-Powered||18 volts||450 ft./lbs.|
|#7||Ryobi P261 18 Volt One+ 3-Speed 1/2 Inch Cordless Impact Wrench||Battery-Powered||18 volts||300 ft./lbs.|
|#8||DEWALT DW292 7.5-Amp 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench||Corded-Electric||120 volts||345 ft./lbs.|
|#9||Capri Tools 32200 8.5 Amp 260 ft. lb Powerful Impact Wrench||Corded-Electric||120 volts||260 ft./lbs.|
|#10||GM Performance Parts, 1/2 Inch Drive, Electric Impact Wrench (GM2813)||Corded-Electric||120 volts||240 ft./lbs.|
1. DEWALT DCF899HB 20V MAX XR Brushless High Torque 1/2″ Impact Wrench
- Brushless motor for superior performance
- Heavy-duty impact mechanism with max torque 700 ft./lbs., breakaway torque 1,200 ft./lbs.
- 3-speed selector switch for control
- LED work light
- Able to handle a 6ft drop
Any DeWalt fan knows that they make some of the best power tools in the industry. The DEWALT DCF899HB is a top of the line impact wrench in terms of power, durability, and performance. This tool packs a maximum torque of 700 ft./lbs and breakaway torque of 1,200 ft./lbs. This one really packs a punch.
In terms of performance, it has a brushless motor built in with three different speed settings. This tool will be snapping those rusted bolts and nuts like a piece of plastic. Put this tool in the 3rd setting and feel that raw power.
This battery powered impact wrench can rival those air-powered wrenches. Saves you from the extra hassle of carrying an air compressor around you all the time. It’s powered by a 20v DEWALT DCB205 Lithium Ion Battery, which you need to buy separately.
If you are worried about durability, this piece of machinery can survive a 6ft drop. It’s meant to last. That’s Dewalt for you. It’s the best in its class, always ready for any demanding job. Additional features include a led work light.
- This impact wrench has an ergonomic design.
- It is very lightweight.
- A powerful motor for high demanding jobs.
- 3-speed settings.
- It is very durable.
- This tool is battery powered but you need to buy them separately and for getting the best performance, you need to purchase the Dewalt brand batteries. Any third-party battery will do but you might lose some torque.
2. Makita XWT11Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 3-Speed 1/2″ Impact Wrench
- BL Brushless motor delivers 210 ft.Lbs. Of max torque
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 5-3/4" long
- 3-speed power selection switch (0-1,600 / 0-2,100 / 0-2,800 RPM & 0-1,800 / 0-2,600 / 0-3,500 IPM) for precise fastening control in a wide range of applications
- Reverse rotation auto-stop mode stops rotation and impact in two seconds when fastener is loosened adequately
- Efficient BL Brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for up to 50% longer run time per charge
Makita XWT11Z is the tool that rivals the DEWALT DCF899HB. In terms of power, this tool can go toe to toe with any pneumatic wrench. Makita has been making quality power tools for years and they know what users want. This wrench features a BL brushless motor that can deliver a maximum torque of 210 ft.Lbs.
This impact wrench is quite small. But that doesn’t make it any less powerful. It is 5-3/4″ long which is very ergonomic and at the same time compact. The grip is smooth to hold and doesn’t feel like any el-cheapo piece of machinery.
Just like the Dewalt, this tool has three-speed settings that can meet all your high demanding jobs. If you are having an issue with any old rusted bolts, just put this one is third speed setting and see the magic. The power selection control switch provides precise control over its fastening.
The Makita XWT11Z is powered by 18v Lithium-Ion series batteries. These batteries that Makita make are some of the best in its category. They have a fast charging time. That means less time on the charger and more time for working.
- It comes with a reverse rotation setting with an auto-stop mode.
- The led battery gauge tells you how much juice left in your battery.
- The rubber grip is soft and feels very comfortable.
- Lightweight design means less strain on your arms.
- Without the battery, it weighs in around 3.8 lbs.
- A top quality tool by Makita. No complaint here. However, if you want to get the most out of this tool, you need to use genuine Makita batteries.
3. Kawasaki 841426 1/2-Inch Impact 7.5-Amp – Corded Electric Impact Wrench Review
- Officially licensed by Kawasaki
- Made using the highest quality standards
- Tested for durability
- Input power of 7.5 Amp, 60 Hertz, 120 Volt
- Max Torque of 220-Feet/-Pound
The Kawasaki 841426 is a top of the line corded impact wrench. You’re paying for the brand here. One look at the bright green color and you’ll know it’s from Kawasaki. It’s still cheaper than the Hammerhead for a comparable tool.
It comes with a powerful 7.5-amp motor. With a similar motor to that of the Hammerhead, the Kawasaki puts out 220ft.lb of torque and also has a metal gearbox. This amount of torque is sufficient for suspension work in your garage.
In fact, the two are extremely similar. This also comes with a storage box and a 4 piece socket set though. In terms of quality, it’s actually better. It can produce up to 2700 IPM. It has plenty of torque to spare.
Like the Hammerhead this is a beast of a tool, it’s heavy and hard to maneuver but you can use extensions. It takes little effort to change tire bolts with this tool.
It’s not loud. The perfect tool for DIY professionals. If you use this tool with a set of sockets that are specifically made for removing lug nuts, you are in for a surprise. It’ll handle the job like a pro. No need for an air compressor with this one.
- It doesn’t make that much noise.
- It has a good overall design.
- It’s not lightweight but it’s strong.
- It will last long too.
- A better alternative for an air powered tool.
- There’s no variable speed. It wouldn’t be that much of a problem though.
4. Porter-Cable PCE211 7.5 Amp 1/2″ Impact Wrench
- 7.5 amp motor for heavy duty applications
- 450 ft.lbs of torque
- 2, 200 RPM & 2, 700 BPM for speed
- 1/2" hog ring anvil for easy socket changes
- Forward/ reverse rocker switch
The Porter-Cable PCE211 is made for heavy-duty tasks. It has an instantaneous and continuous 450 ft-lbs of torque. What I mean is that this corded electric power impact wrench can produce a nut busting 450 ft./lbs. of torque in an instant and continuous to do so.
This tool is a bit more on the heavy side. All that weight comes from the strong 7.5 Amp motor. It doesn’t make that much of a noise though. The rocker switch is placed nicely. You can use it to make the tool rotate forward or reverse.
For an electric wrench at this price point, I would say this is a winner in my book. Remember, it is a corded tool, that means you need to be close to a power circuit. If you want portability, this is not the tool for you. If you don’t mind a cord hanging around this is the tool that you should go for.
For easy and swift socket changes, this tool comes with a 1/2” hog anvil ring. It is well made and will last a long time. Handle grip is nicely designed and feels solid. Overall a good tool for the money.
- Budget-friendly price tag.
- A lot of power under the hood.
- It can produce up to 2,700 BPM.
- Maximum torque from the start.
- It is designed for heavy-duty garage works.
- This tool weighs in at around 7.8lbs. It’s a bit heavy but this weight isn’t something that would bother you considering how strong the motor is.
5. HAMMERHEAD HDIW075_7.5 AMP 1/2-inch Impact Wrench
- Powerful 7.5 Amp motor delivers 2,200 RPM and 2,700 BPM
- 240 ft.-lbs. of torque for heavy-duty applications
- 1/2 in. square drive with friction ring for secure socket retention
- Metal gearbox for added durability
- Forward/reverse rocker switch for quick and easy two-finger operation
A 7.5amp motor that works at a max of 2,700 BPM is actually not even as strong as some of the cordless wrenches, however, it can still deliver up to 240ft.lb of torque.
This is in part due to an internal metal gearbox. A standard 1/2” drive and a rocker switch make for easy operation. This gearbox feature also increases the durability of this power tool.
The non-slip grip is comfortable and weighing in at 7lb it is a solid tool. It comes with a friction ring. Friction ring gives you a more secure socket fit. It’ll give you better control over your tool.
This tool should do just fine for the automotive purpose. It’s tough. It can handle your heavy-duty suspension work. The price is a major bonus for this since it’s still under 100 bucks but it is the most expensive of the mid-performers.
A very noisy tool, in fact, it’s comparable to a loud compressor. The pistol shape is very top heavy which can be tiring when trying to keep it in position. The weight comes from it 7.5-amp motor.
- It comes with a friction ring.
- Powerful 7.5-amp motor.
- It is durable.
- It’s bulky but strong.
- This tool can easily remove a rusted 1 1/8 bolts.
- It does start to burn up on heavy duty loads so it’s not suggested for commercial work.
6. Milwaukee 2663-20 18-Volt M18 1/2-Inch High Torque Impact Wrench
- The product is easy to use
- The product is durable
- The product is manufactured in China
- Milwaukee-designed impact mechanism provides best-in-class torque at 475 foot-pounds
- Milwaukee four-pole motor for maximum speed and power
In the competition for making the best electric impact wrench, Milwaukee can hold its own. One look at the Milwaukee 2663-20 and you’ll notice how far these electrically powered impact wrenches have come. If you don’t have an air powered impact wrench, you can easily make do with this one.
This tool features a four-pole motor that delivers great speed and power. It is designed to provide heavy-duty impact mechanism. This motor can produce a maximum torque of 475 ft.Lbs. Put it together with a 5.0Ah battery and you’ll have yourself one powerful impact wrench.
Speaking of battery, this cordless-electric has an 18v bolt motor and works best if paired with a Milwaukee M18 Redlithium battery. These two make a powerhouse couple. Ready for any tough jobs. You can even kick it up a notch by adding a 6.0Ah battery if you need that extra power.
It’s compact and powerful. Also, the fact that it weighs less even with batteries attached, for me, that’s a key selling point for this tool right here. The weight of a tool plays an important role. It’ll put a lot less stress on your arm. The grip is also smooth and feels good to hold.
- This tool has a friction ring that allows quick change of sockets.
- This tool has a very high torque capacity.
- Overload protection is built in.
- You can use any M18 lithium-ion batteries. (if you previously owned a Milwaukee tool)
- It comes with a variable-speed trigger.
- Just because it has a super torque doesn’t mean you can go crazy with this one. This tool is the perfect solution for car tires but not a good tool for truck lug nuts.
7. Ryobi P261 18 Volt One+ 3-Speed 1/2 Inch Cordless Impact Wrench
- Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ 1/2 in. Cordless 3-Speed Impact Wrench (Tool-Only)
Whether you are installing lag bolts or removing lug nuts, the Ryobi P261 is the perfect tool for your job. When used with a 4Ah battery, this tool packs enough torque that can tackle any tough jobs. The main reason why I mentioned 4Ah battery is that this tool performs its best when you connect it to a 4Ah battery.
This powerful tool can produce up to 300 ft./lbs. of torque. With its three speed settings, you can easily control its IPM with precision. Its variable speed trigger allows you to adjust its IPM from 0 – 3200. It may look small but under the hood, it packs some serious power.
With this tool, working in the dark will be a bliss. Thanks to its LED work light, which is built into the chuck, you can easily work in those dimly lighted conditions. Saves you the trouble of carrying an extra light with you.
The ergonomic design and its rubberized overgrip is certainly a neat feature to have installed on a power tool. This type of grip is ideal for slippery conditions. You can firmly hold onto the grip without worrying about slipping or dropping your tool.
- It has a lot of torque.
- Very high impact per minute.
- Lightweight and ergonomic design.
- Three led indicators located at the chuck.
- It’s for the budget conscious DIY builders.
- While this amount of torque is suitable for medium to high category jobs, do be careful when using it to fully tighten a lug nut. There is a probable chance that you might actually damage the wheels. Too much power in this tool.
8. DEWALT DW292 7.5-Amp 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench
- The product is highly durable
- The product is easy to use
- Manufactured in China
- 345 ft-lbs of deliverable torque in forward and reverse
- 1/2-inch detent pin anvil
One of the most popular names in the business Dewalt is known for its good quality tools. The DEWALT DW292 is no exception. This simple, easy-to-use device may not look that fancy but can spit out some raw torque.
The device has a special detent-pin anvil and ball bearing construction to make it durable. With 345 ft-lbs of forwarding and reverse torque, you’ll be breaking those lug nuts in no time.
There’s a standard 1/2” detent pin anvil. A similar 2100 RPM motor to most other electric wrenches it feels more powerful than it really is. It has a powerful 7.5 amp motor. It weighs about 8 lbs.
The grip handle is a pistol-shaped design that weighs in at the average 7lb mark. It is soft. It’s comfortable. The rocker switch makes it easy to switch directions. The ball bearing construction increases the tools lifetime.
If you can’t afford air powered impact wrench, this tool can back you up. With half the price of its cordless version, you will get a good tool that will give you a lot of service time.
- 345ft.lb of torque in both directions.
- Comfortable grip.
- Durable construction.
- Renowned brand.
- It can deliver up to 2,700 IPM.
- It’s pricey, and the power is debatable since many people feel Dewalt overinflates their claim of 345ft.lb.
9. Capri Tools 32200 8.5 Amp 260 ft. lb Powerful Impact Wrench
- ELECTRIC: Simply plug in to loosen and tighten nuts and bolts quickly, no need for an air compressor
- GUARANTEED POWER: 260 ft-lbs max torque is delivered through the Planetary Gear System for max power with minimal weight
- ERGONOMICS: The comfortable grip combined with a dual bearing armature system leads to less fatigue over time
- 1/2" Hog Ring Anvil: Built stronger than detent pin types, keeping sockets in place firmly
- CONTROL: Rocker switch quickly and easily switches between forward and reverse directions
With the Capri Tools 32200, you no longer need an air compressor. A stronger Hog Ring anvil design that helps keep your sockets in place puts this ahead of the Dewalt before you even start to consider the price.
The Planetary Gear System is designed to generate maximum power while keeping the weight at its lowest. With 260ft.lb max torque it’s not that powerful but it does weigh significantly less at 6lb making it much easier to handle.
At 8.5 amps it’s also more powerful than any of the other wrenches here and one of the cheapest! Also, comes with a handy storage case and standard 1/2” drive. All in one, this is hand down the best electric impact wrench we’ve tried so far.
The wrench is pretty true to claim and will easily torque 100-150lb lug nuts without any issues. You can easily switch between forward and reverse. The rocker switch is neatly placed.
The design also has a dual-bearing armature system to help minimize vibrations and makes the pistol grip design easier to use. It’s comfortable to hold. The grip has a good ergonomic design. Not a fan of it. But it does the job.
- Feels comfortable at hand.
- Sufficient torque.
- It comes with 1/2″ Hog Ring.
- Powerful 8.5-amp motor.
- Budget friendly price.
- The cord is only six feet long so you have to have an extension cord on it and with a long cord you risk burning out the motor.
10. GM Performance Parts, 1/2 Inch Drive, (GM2813)
- 1/2 inch square drive. 120 volts, 7.5 amps. Double insulated for safety
- Delivers up to 240 foot pounds of torque. 2,100 RPM no load speed. 2,700 impacts per minute
- Metal gear housing for durability with 100% ball bearing construction
- Forward/reverse rocker switch for one hand operation
- Great tool for tough installations where an air compressor is not available
This 1/2 inch square drive impact wrench comes with a powerful 7.5 amps motor. It’s not a heavy-duty tool but packs enough power to do almost any household work. Looking at the specifications of the GM you could write the same about the Kawasaki or the Hammerhead.
In terms of power, this tool can produce up to 240 ft./lbs of max torque. With a no-load speed of 2,100 RPM and 2,700 IPM, this power tool can compete with the most mid-end tool on the market. It also comes with a detent pin anvil, and that’s about it.
Nothing really sets the GM apart as far as specifications. The durability of this tool is good. 100% metallic ball bearing construction. The rocker switch is neatly placed. Not too far. Not too near. Just where you want it to be.
The forward and reverse options can be selected with just a click. Not a fan of the grip though. There are other tools that provide more comfortable grip than this one.
- Good for regular use.
- You can use it for suspension work on your car.
- A cost-effective solution for budget conscious people.
- Double insulated for extra safety.
- There’s also a good chance this doesn’t even come close to the power it says on the box but it will still work for most lug nuts.
Things To Look For When Choosing An Electric Impact Wrench
Torque: It’s very important that you need to look at the performance specs of your tool. Torque is the first thing you should look for. It’s the twisting force of your wrench. More torque is preferred.
RPM: Revolutions per minute. You need to look at the RPM because it will determine how fast your impact wrench can fasten a bolt.
IPM: Impact per minute which is the frequency of the hammer action. A lot of major brands don’t even bother to include it in their specs, so you don’t have to worry too much about this feature.
Anvil is the place where you attach your socket. Different impact wrenches have different anvil size. You can determine what size of socket you can hook with your wrench by looking at the anvil size.
– Inline and pistol grip tools have the smallest anvil size which is ¼”
– Other sizes include 1/2”, ¾”, and 3/8”.
Types Of Anvil
There are two kinds of Anvil.
– Detent Pin.
– Friction ring.
These are the changing mechanism for sockets. If you prefer fast changing option, you should go for the friction ring. Detent pins tend to be slow but they will give you a firmer grip on your socket.
Grip size matters. Normally, I would suggest you go for the pistol grip which looks more like an electric drill.
There is also another type which is known as an inline impact wrench. It is used in tight spaces. It is comfortable to hold because of the slim body
That wraps up this buying guide. I hope this guide will help you pick the best one that is available on the market.
The Capri is simply head and heels the best electric impact wrench. A lighter and more powerful tool that doesn’t even cost half as much as the big name brands this is an all-around winner. These are loud tools so you need protective ear-wear or risk hearing issues after. You’ll get a bargain cost item and the most powerful available all in one. There’s simply no other real choice. Between the GM, the Kawasaki, and the Hammerhead they’re all so similar that there’s no good reason you’re spending up to $20 more and if you’re desperate for the Dewalt name opt for the cordless instead since it’s more powerful.